Skip to main content

A Conversation I Never Thought I Would Have

When the phone rang the other day,  and I saw the area code for Boston, my heart skipped a beat.  I was so afraid that it was a call saying they couldn't see us on August 1st. You see, most of my anxiety at the moment hinges around our impending trip, and my fear that we won't find the answers that Virginia so desperately needs.  I also rationally know, that the odds of that are pretty slim.  We are headed straight to the expert in the field, one of the best hospitals in the world, and all roads have led us here.  It can just be pretty hard to live in rational land these days!  But, the phone call was not about that at all.  Little did I know the actual conversation I was about to have.

It was our doctor's nurse.  She wanted to give me protocol for Virginia regarding her immune health.  They wanted her, and us, to start taking a high dose of Vitamin C, called Lypo-Spheric Vitamin C.  I had never heard of this, but it is the best vitamin C you can take, the body uses and absorbs all of it, and I am pretty sure we will all take this during flu season, and any time we feel something coming on.  She also starts talking about how we should really try and keep her out of public places to limit her exposure to germs.  She said the pool was still okay, but stores, restaurants, etc. should be limited. 

You see, they don't want her potentially picking up anything that could cause tests to not be done or results to be inaccurate, or for her to miss out on any potential treatments because she was sick.  She said to please keep her in a wheel chair in the airport, wipe down everything, and do our best to limit what she touches. As if I don't have enough thoughts in my head, now I am hyper vigilant about germs and her exposure to them.  Again, I never thought I would be talking about our daughter like this, and even having to think about germs in this way, other than when flu season rolled around at school.  

I can recall so many times seeing parents with their child out and about with a mask on the child's face.  I always smile at those children and the parents.  I have no idea what they are truly going through, but I feel like a smile is the best I can give them.  Now I understand, and as a parent, I can truly say that just a smile from someone really does mean so much!

Then, the nurse says, we also need to talk about seizure protocol.  Virginia has started to develop some really bad headaches from time to time, and they said that the chance of a seizure is slim, but that we should be aware of them. Virginia has also developed foot and toe twitches, and she said that it all definitely goes together.  

These are videos of her twitching feet.  Again, we share all of this in the hopes that others will understand, but also maybe someone else will see these videos, have the same symptoms, and maybe our journey can help them on their way to find answers!





Then, finally she asked me if I had any questions.  I told her no, only because, to be honest, I felt like my head was going to explode.  Did I really just have a conversation regarding seizure and immunity protocols regarding the health of our 11 year old daughter?  I didn't even really know what to say, or what to ask.  This is all a world that I just never thought we would be a part of.  Honestly, we truly have no idea where life will lead us.  Today, we are one week away from our flight to Boston. We are one week away from the beginning of the next leg of our journey.  We are one week away from what we can only hope will be the beginning of true answers for our Sweet Virginia!

I will say again how absolutely proud of our daughter we are.  The amount of abuse her little body is taking right now, and her ability to smile and say that she is fine, melts my heart every day!  We can only hope that you will all have the same attitude in your own lives, and continue to spread the kindness and love every single day!





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where We Are Now

So, after leaving the hospital the first time, her leg pain, weakness, and sometimes inability to walk was beginning.   This is a video that I took on June 5th, before we were admitted again on June 11th.  Unsure what to do, we went back to Ruby Memorial on June 11th for an MRI of her spine, and for additional appointments with neurologists and ophthalmologists.  She had also not regained any new sight by this time.  Her MRI of the spine came back clear, which was great.  However, they told us that with the amount of steroids she had been on, the results may be skewed.  When we met with the neurologist, we asked about the MOG positive results from her blood work.  They said that they really couldn't say without waiting until September and repeating the blood tests and MRI.  We did not consider this acceptable, and began doing some research, and looking for a second opinion. Upon googling her symptoms, we found that MOG ( myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein) seem

Something I Will No Longer Say

The other day, as I pulled into our driveway and went to get out of the car, I looked up and saw the handicap placard hanging from the mirror.  Never in a million years did I think I would see one of these in our car, and especially not for our 11 year old daughter.  I also remember the day that I picked up the signed form from her Dr. and took it to the DMV.  It was hard to look down and see the doctor's reason be, "patient is severely limited in their ability to walk due to arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition."  It was also hard to see that he checked the permanent option instead of temporary.  It really made me sit back down, and just try to process how I was feeling. If I am being honest, I don't even really know how I am feeling these days.  I think I may even be a little numb so I can keep pressing forward for answers, and be strong for Virginia and everyone else. I also must say that my husband is amazing, and always help me try and figure out ho