Skip to main content

Something I Will No Longer Say

The other day, as I pulled into our driveway and went to get out of the car, I looked up and saw the handicap placard hanging from the mirror.  Never in a million years did I think I would see one of these in our car, and especially not for our 11 year old daughter.  I also remember the day that I picked up the signed form from her Dr. and took it to the DMV.  It was hard to look down and see the doctor's reason be, "patient is severely limited in their ability to walk due to arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition."  It was also hard to see that he checked the permanent option instead of temporary.  It really made me sit back down, and just try to process how I was feeling.

If I am being honest, I don't even really know how I am feeling these days.  I think I may even be a little numb so I can keep pressing forward for answers, and be strong for Virginia and everyone else. I also must say that my husband is amazing, and always help me try and figure out how I am feeling too!   I know that I need to process my feelings, and  this blog is helping me do that, so thank you for reading and following our journey!



However, as I sat in our van, I remembered a conversation I had with a dear friend who also has a daughter about Virginia's age, and her daughter has her own struggles.  We were talking about how Virginia still had not regained her vision, this was at the end of April, and I just looked at her, and I said, "I don't mean to complain, I know it could always be worse!"  She looked at me, and she said, don't say that.  She said,  "I never say that."  I asked why, and she said because, yes it could always be worse, but no matter what, what you are going through at the moment is a struggle, it sucks, and no  matter what, no one should to take away how hard what your are going through is, or take away from how you are feeling.

I had honestly never really thought about that before, but she was so right.  Our struggles are our struggles.  Everyone has different struggles.  We may never know that others are struggling, or going through things we couldn't possibly truly understand.  However, that is all the more reason to treat everyone with grace, love, and kindness.  We need to support others through any and all struggles, and we also need to celebrate the small wins and great times!  I am learning so much through this journey.  I am not only gaining medical knowledge, that I never thought I would need, but also I truly feel that I am growing as a person.

So, let's all learn from this journey.  I will never again say or tell someone that things could always be worse.  Could they, sure, but in the moment we just need to reach out, breathe, and take all support and love in whatever form it takes.  Virginia amazes me daily in her ability to still smile, and be so strong!  So, I challenge you today, to be kind and to smile at someone who may not smile back, because, you never can truly know what anyone is going through.   Let's make a change in this world together!  I feel like part of Virginia's journey is to do just that for this world!


Comments

  1. Know that you all continue in our hearts and our prayers...thank you for sharing this journey...and please be assured of our constant love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't edit my comment but forgot to sign it "Rhonda and Helen Nash"

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much!!! We fee the love!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where We Are Now

So, after leaving the hospital the first time, her leg pain, weakness, and sometimes inability to walk was beginning.   This is a video that I took on June 5th, before we were admitted again on June 11th.  Unsure what to do, we went back to Ruby Memorial on June 11th for an MRI of her spine, and for additional appointments with neurologists and ophthalmologists.  She had also not regained any new sight by this time.  Her MRI of the spine came back clear, which was great.  However, they told us that with the amount of steroids she had been on, the results may be skewed.  When we met with the neurologist, we asked about the MOG positive results from her blood work.  They said that they really couldn't say without waiting until September and repeating the blood tests and MRI.  We did not consider this acceptable, and began doing some research, and looking for a second opinion. Upon googling her symptoms, we found that MOG ( myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein) seem

A Conversation I Never Thought I Would Have

When the phone rang the other day,  and I saw the area code for Boston, my heart skipped a beat.  I was so afraid that it was a call saying they couldn't see us on August 1st. You see, most of my anxiety at the moment hinges around our impending trip, and my fear that we won't find the answers that Virginia so desperately needs.  I also rationally know, that the odds of that are pretty slim.  We are headed straight to the expert in the field, one of the best hospitals in the world, and all roads have led us here.  It can just be pretty hard to live in rational land these days!  But, the phone call was not about that at all.  Little did I know the actual conversation I was about to have. It was our doctor's nurse.  She wanted to give me protocol for Virginia regarding her immune health.  They wanted her, and us, to start taking a high dose of Vitamin C, called Lypo-Spheric Vitamin C.  I had never heard of this, but it is the best vitamin C you can take, the body uses an